Thursday, January 6, 2011

#1 Blue Glass Owl



Originally uploaded by theshiniestapple


When I was in high school, we had a foreign exchange student from Finland. She was so exotic and grown up and open. She was a breath of fresh air. It took us so long to connect, but when we did, the connection was amazing. She made me feel loved and hopeful for what the world could be outside of our small town. She could only say "hip" instead of "heep" if she lowered her voice and made a very gruff face. We had so many weird little things in common. We both wanted to name our first daughters Olivia. We both loved blue glass. I bought this for her years ago, before we lost touch, and before I had the money to send a package to Finland. I liked to buy her blue glass things that started with B. Blue Bowl. Blue Bead. Blue Bird (though yes, technically, it is an owl). I finally found her on Facebook this summer, but we haven't talked much. Every day, this little guy looks at me from the shelf above my kitchen sink. Every day he makes me miss her and wish I wasn't too chicken to reach out.

Next payday, he's going to fly to Finland.

No comments:

Post a Comment